The current exhibition at Ashmolean Museum Broadway is etchings, watercolours and drawings by F.L. Griggs. But who is he? And what is his local connection?
Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs was born in 1876 in Hitchin and lived until 1938. He was an etcher, draughtsman and illustrator, who trained as an architect, and moved to nearby Chipping Campden in 1903. He moved to a house on the High Street in 1906, which he re-named Dover’s House, and stayed there for nearly thirty years.
While in Campden, Griggs renovated Miles House in 1917, Westcote House in 1926, Commercial House (now the Post Office) and the Old Kings Arms in 1929. He designed Campden’s War Memorial in 1919 along with many other war memorials, and several of the wrought iron shop signs along Campden’s High Street.
In 1925 he founded the Campden Society to protect the town’s heritage and saved Dover’s Hill (near Campden) in 1926 where his name is immortalised on a plaque at the top of the hill.
Closer to home, Griggs was a friend of Ben Chandler who purchased Tudor House in the early twentieth century (now the Ashmolean Museum Broadway) and once worked with his architect C.E. Mallows who renovated the building and who remained his friend.
Have we sparked your interest? Want to learn more about the man and his work? Why not come to the talk on Griggs this Friday 17th June 2016 at 5pm at the Ashmolean Museum Broadway.
Tickets £10 including drink, available from the museum. Contact us by email email@example.com or telephone 01386 859047.